Reading Group Meeting, April 10
The Biopolitics Reading Group, in collaboration with the “Rethinking Sovereignty” planners, will meet on Friday, April 10, 2015 at 4-6 p.m. to discuss several readings suggested by the conference plenary speakers.
The meeting will be hosted at the home of Richard Barney, 16 Irving Street, Albany, NY, 12202, which is in downtown Albany (Googlemaps link here). Faculty and students are welcome from UAlbany and surrounding institutions. All contributions of eats or drinks will be appreciated.
The Readings (about 120 pp. total):
Gregg Lambert suggests three texts on neoliberalism, which are in a reading packet that he prepared for The Society for the Study of Bio-political Futures (SSBF). Once at the website (click here), click on “SSBF Workshop 2015 Reading” (in the lower-left corner) to download the reader; then see the table of contents for:
· Friedrich Hayek, “The Principles of a Liberal Social Order,” in The Essence of Hayek
· Philip Mirowski, “Postface: Defining Neoliberalism,” in The Road from Mont Pèlerin
· Miguel Vatter, “Free Markets and Republican Constitutions in Hayek and Foucault,” in The Republic of the Living
Kalpana Seshadri suggests the following texts:
· Selections from her book HumAnimal: Race, Law, Language (Minneapolis: U of Minnesota P, 2012): the Introduction and Chapter 3 (click here).
· “Ellipsis: Derrida and Agamben on Sovereignty and Life,” a forthcoming essay by Seshadri (click here).